New Zealand globetrotters may snicker if travelling through Shitterton in southern England, Middelfart in Denmark or F***ing in Austria.
But you don't have to travel that far to come across a place name that's been judged the worst in the world.
That dubious honour falls to the Central North Island village and ski field Whakapapa.
Displaying some knowledge of te reo Maori, the editors at netscape.com explain the "secret to understanding why it got the top spot" is in the pronunciation of "wh" as "f".
But at least Whakapapa has been spared the unwanted attention that the name of Austria's F***ing brings it.
The road signs of the village with a population of 104 are a popular tourist attraction and had been stolen by souvenir hunters until new signs welded to steel and set in concrete stopped the thefts.
In 2009 it was announced the village would install CCTV cameras to deter tourists from filming themselves having sex in front of the signs.
The Hawke's Bay hill boasting the longest place name in any English-speaking country, Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu, is in No.20 spot on the list.
Worst place names in the world (via netscape.com)
1. Whakapapa, New Zealand
2. F***ing, Austria
3. Disappointment, Kentucky, US
4. Shitterton, Dorset, England
5. Horneytown, North Carolina, US
6. Middelfart, Denmark
7. Toad Suck, Arkansas, US
8. Hell, Michigan, US
9. Hookersville, West Virginia, US
10. Whiskey Dick Mountain, Washington, US
11. Cockup, Cumbria, England
12. Bald Knob, Arkansas, US
13. Spread Eagle, Wisconsin, US
14. Wetwang, Yorkshire, England
15. Gravesend, Kent, England
16. Thong, Kent, England
17. Titty Hill, Sussex, England
18. Looneyville, Texas
19. Muff, Ireland
20. Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu, New Zealand
21. Twatt, Orkney Islands, Scotland22. Cockburn, Western Australia
Copyright © 2013 Yahoo! New Zealand
All rights reserved.
Select your region to see news and weather for your area.