Police have spoken to the owners of a store believed to have sold a group of young people a canister of butane which may have led to the death of 12-year-old boy.
Police named the boy who died at an eastern Christchurch car park on Friday night as Darius Logan Claxton, 12, of Christchurch.
It is believed the boy had been with a group of young people who had been sniffing butane from a canister.
Detective Sergeant Earle Borrell says police have spoken to the store's owners but have not yet determined whether any charges can be laid in relation to the sale.
The death has been referred to the coroner.
The cause of death has yet to be confirmed but a post-mortem is set for Monday.
Police have warned about the dangers of sniffing butane."While the cause of death has yet to be confirmed, the incident highlights the dangers of people sniffing butane or `huffing' as it is known," police said.
Could Wellington's plan to help homeless beggars succeed?Vote
Copyright © 2013 Yahoo! New Zealand
All rights reserved.
Select your region to see news and weather for your area.