A two-year-old tabby cat weighing in at 18.1kgs has died in Santa Fe, New Mexico, following respiratory complications.
Meow was dropped off at the Sante Fe Animal Shelter last month after his 87-year-old owner couldn't care for him any longer.
Vets were dismayed at how he became so large in just two years.
AP reported there were high hopes for Meow to find a new family as he was immediately placed on a strict diet.
Meow was even a guest on Anderson Cooper's show - the talk show presenter said the experience was like "holding a big tub of Jello".
Things took a turn for the worst when Meow started wheezing at his foster home.
This was attributed to allergies or the fact that he was moving around much more than he used to.
But the wheezing continued and Meow ended up in an emergency veterinary hospital, Yahoo! US reports.He passed away over the weekend.
Should mental health patients be allowed to smoke?Vote
Copyright © 2013 Yahoo! New Zealand
All rights reserved.
Select your region to see news and weather for your area.