Piracy accused Kim Dotcom says he will beat charges laid against by the US government because the law in that country is on his side.
The 38-year-old founder of file-sharing website Megaupload is awaiting extradition to the United States, where he is facing charges of racketeering, copyright infringement and money laundering in relation to the site.
Dotcom and three co-accused were arrested on January 20 in a spectacular police raid on Dotcom's $30 million rented mansion in Coatesville, north of Auckland.
He spent a month in custody before being granted bail last week.
Speaking on Campbell Live on Thursday evening, Dotcom said events over the past month had been "horrifying" and "like a nightmare" for his family.
Dotcom and his wife Mona, who is heavily pregnant with twins, have three children.
Dotcom says Megaupload, which has since been taken down, was legitimate because US law stated users uploading files were at liberty, not the website which the files were uploaded to.
"So we have a legally binding agreement with these users that they are not supposed to upload anything that doesn't belong to them," he said.
"We have been sued only once, never by any, you know, movie company or big content company and we have spent millions of dollars on legal advice over the last few years and our legal advisers have always told us that we are secure and that we are protected by the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) which is a law in the US that is protecting online service providers of liability for the actions of their users, so it came completely unexpected."
Asked whether he was, as alleged, one of the biggest internet pirates in the world, Dotcom responded:
"It's kinda like weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, you know?
"If you want to go after someone and you have a political goal you will say whatever it takes. These are fabrications and lies."Dotcom also called the 72-pages of charges against him a "press release" designed to make him look "as bad as possible".