Police have issued a warning to media about wrongly naming people in reports, following the death of a toddler when a stove fell on him at his Waikato home.
Kobi George Collier, who was 19 months old, is believed to have climbed onto the open door of a common model free-standing stove which fell on top of him in Te Aroha, northeast of Hamilton, on Sunday.
Emergency services were called around 7am and found the boy unconscious and not breathing.
The preliminary results of a post-mortem examination carried out on Monday show Kobi died from injuries he sustained after being crushed by the stove, Detective Senior Sergeant Mike Whitehead said in a statement.
However, investigations will continue, including looking at the stability of the stove, he said.
Snr Sgt Whitehead also issued a warning to media after one news outlet wrongly named Kobi as Toby.
He said the mistake had caused the family further anguish.
"To that end, in consultation with the family we are asking the various organisations to, in future, hold back from such activity to hopefully avoid other families being unnecessarily upset as has occurred today."It is likely the case will be referred to the coroner, he said.
Would you intervene in a life-threatening crisis?Vote
Copyright © 2013 Yahoo! New Zealand
All rights reserved.
Select your region to see news and weather for your area.