During the past five years the war on terror in Afghanistan has cost New Zealand $185 million.
A further $32m has been budgeted this year, as the Defence Force prepares to withdraw its provincial reconstruction team, the Sunday Star-Times reports.
In the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 financial years $44.1m and $50.03m was spent while the country's SAS unit was in Afghanistan.
New Zealand will withdraw from Afghanistan next year, although a date is yet to be set.
Prime Minister John Key has said it was unlikely troops would be withdrawn early following the deaths of Lance Corporals Pralli Durrer and Rory Malone a week ago.
"This brings the total number of New Zealand soldiers who have lost their lives in Afghanistan to seven," Mr Key said last week.
Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully said last month that during the coming weeks a specialist team would visit Bamyan to draw up a detailed exit plan.The papers also reveal the Defence Force spent $85.6m over four years in Timor Leste and a further $5.4m has been budgeted in this financial year. A deployment to the Solomon Islands cost $31.2m from 2007-12, with $4.1m to be spent this financial year.
Do you vote in local body elections?Vote
Copyright © 2013 Yahoo! New Zealand
All rights reserved.
Select your region to see news and weather for your area.