Hundreds of Cantabrians have turned out to protest the lack of consultation over the decision to close or relocate a number of Christchurch schools.
The government announced last week it's proposing to close 13 schools, and 18 others will be involved in mergers, as part of a $1 billion rebuild and realignment of education in the city.
About 500 protesters gathered at the Bridge of Remembrance in central Christchurch on Wednesday evening, Fairfax reports.
Opposition MPs have said they have been flooded with emails from parents opposed to school closures and have accused the government of not listening to communities.
Education Minister Hekia Parata said there had been extensive consultation.
"We can't put back what was there before," she said."Of the schools most affected, two have sought voluntary closure, five have rolls of less than 50 and others have been damaged."
Do you vote in local body elections?Vote
Copyright © 2013 Yahoo! New Zealand
All rights reserved.
Select your region to see news and weather for your area.