Even the stone-hearted among us love a cute proposal story. And whether we believe in the sanctity of marriage or not, you've got to admit marriage traditions are super interesting - especially the historical reason why men get down on one knee to propose. Weirdly though, women who propose to their male partners are still often applauded and seen as "brave" or "unusual" for doing so. So, here are 11 men who were proposed to by their girlfriends explaining how they really felt to be the proposee.
1. "We were just talking on the phone and we had been dating about four years. She knew I was anti-marriage. I received a picture message and she had drawn and coloured a sign that said, 'Will you marry me in 15 years?' Of course I said yes, and we married two years later. I’m so glad she asked because she would have been the one that got away." [via]
2. "She just popped the question randomly, without much ceremony. I thought it was flattering and sweet. I strongly appreciated her will to take initiative. I said 'no'. As painful as it was to say it, marriage isn't something that I really want, definitely not in the near future. It was more a matter of lifestyle incompatibility, than anything else, I guess. But I enjoyed the gesture." [via]
3. "I felt pretty good about it I guess because I said yes. I feel even better now because 20 years or so later I get to say ,'Hey, this was YOUR idea'." [via]
4. "It was humbling. She has a learning disability and wrote, and then read out loud her proposal. She was terrified of blowing it, and it was the most important moment in her life. I was blown away because after being with her for seven years, I didn't know how important it was to her. Still humbled." [via]
5. "I was ecstatic to be engaged to her. I was planning on asking her in six months time, so it worked out. She did it on my golden birthday at a music festival, so needless to say I was quite inebriated. Right before she did it, we sat on a bench and she asked me, 'So, how are you feeling?' I replied, 'Fuuuuucked up!' Then she got on one knee, and I started crying.
"It's two years later and we're still doing the same shenanigans without the proposing and crying. I feel a complete indifference that she was the one to do it. People are almost always shocked when they hear it. But honestly with my semi-apparent commitment issues I may never have done it, so better that she did!" [via]
6. "Just awesome. The most curious thing was that when I told other people we were engaged about 80% of them would ask, 'How did you propose?' and then I had to explain I didn't." [via]
7. "My wife proposed to me four years ago because she knew I wouldn't do it. Secretly, I had always told my friends that the only way I was going to get married was if a girl proposed to me... As far as I know, she didn't know this. Worked out!" [via]
8. "I fucked up. My wife and I both knew we wanted to get married. I was making payments on a ring for her and thinking of ways to propose. At the time my then best friend was our roommate. I came home one day and my wife and him were being all smirky, seeming like they were keeping something from me. Obviously I started getting paranoid and kept pressing them about it. My wife ended up getting on one knee and proposing in our living room. They were out buying me a ring. I would’ve proposed first if I wasn’t so annoying." [via]
9. "We were both wanting to propose but scared to. She made a Skyrim quest where I'd find items in a scavenger hunt. A pair of boots, a cuirass, a helmet, and a golden ring. The boots had a note with them: 'For all the times you carried me and didn't give up on me'. Cuirass: 'For all the times you've kept me in your heart and all the love you've given me'. Helmet: 'For all the times you've thought of me and hoped for me. All the times you've helped me'. And the ring: 'And for all the times I want to have with you in the future. Will you marry me?' I said yes." [via]
10. "I melted. It was the happiest moment of my life. It didn't once occur to me what the conventional norm was supposed to be. I didn't feel emasculated or anything, just so loved. Actually, I did at one point think, 'Fuck, getting proposed to is the best feelings in the world, fuck me, I can't do this for her now. Fuuuuuck, how do I make her feel as loved as she is making me feel in this moment? This love shit is so hard'." [via]
11. "I was really surprised. She just casually asked me one day when we were out fishing. I did feel like I should have been the one to ask her, and it kind of fucked with my head. But that was a little over seven years ago and we are still going strong." [via]
You Might Also Like