Nearly 900 drivers across NSW were caught using their mobile phone while behind the wheel in a one-day traffic blitz by police.
Almost 1800 infringement notices were issued as part of the state-wide operation on Wednesday - half of them for illegal phone use.
"We know those drivers using the phone are the ones that continue to put themselves, their passengers, and other road users at great risk, as they are not concentrating on that important driving task, with their attention drawn to either a conversation, text, or otherwise," Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy said in a statement.
Just under 200 fines were also handed out to drivers for not keeping left, plus a further 705 notices for non-compliant vehicle standards.
"It is those drivers not keeping left which impede oncoming traffic, which creates a crash risk," he said.
The state's road toll stands at 182 so far in 2018, six fewer than this time last year.