450 Patients Might Have Been Exposed to HIV and Hepatitis at Mass. Hospital

Endoscopy patients at Salem Hospital were potentially exposed to HIV and hepatitis after intravenous medication was not administered according to hospital protocol

<p>Getty</p> Salem Hospital in Massachuests has said that over 450 patients could be exposed to HIV and hepatitis


Salem Hospital in Massachuests has said that over 450 patients could be exposed to HIV and hepatitis

Salem Hospital in Massachusetts has said that over 450 patients could be exposed to HIV and hepatitis, according to local Boston news outlet, WCVB NewsCenter 5.

Per the station, a spokesperson revealed that the patients were potentially exposed after intravenous medication was administered in a way that was inconsistent with the hospital’s methods.

PEOPLE Magazine has reached out to Salem Hospital, but they did not immediately respond for comment.

The hospital stated that endoscopy patients who had undergone procedures such as colonoscopies and cystoscopies were affected over a span of two years and may have been exposed to hepatitis B and hepatitis C, as well as HIV, as reported by Boston 25 News.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Related: 24-Year-Old Gets Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After Smoking Hookah: 'I Thought I Was Going to Die' (Exclusive)

<p>Getty</p> There are currently no reported infections


There are currently no reported infections

However, they added that the chances of infection were “extremely small” and that there were currently no reported infections.

“Once identified, the practice was immediately corrected and the hospital’s quality and infection control teams were notified,” a spokesperson for Salem Hospital’s owner, Mass General Brigham, said of the incorrectly administered IVs, per Boston 25 News.

According to the outlet, the hospital claimed that all patients who could have been exposed have been notified, adding that infection and control teams were contacted immediately after the incident occurred.

Related: At Least 22 Toddlers in 14 States Sickened by Lead in Applesauce Pouches

"The safety of our patients is our highest priority, and we have undertaken multiple corrective actions in response to this event," the spokesperson said, per WCVB NewsCenter 5.

A free clinician staff hotline to answer questions and provide free screenings has also reportedly been set up.

Boston 25 News also added that the hospital apologized “to those who have been impacted,” and aims to continue to deliver “high-quality, compassionate health care to our community.”

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.