Two-year-old dies in driveway incident

NZ Newswire November 15, 2012, 7:07 am

Family members stood grieving outside a south Auckland home after a two-year-old boy was killed by a vehicle in a driveway on Wednesday night.

The boy was hit about 7.25pm in the driveway in Orpheus Place, Papakura, on the southern outskirts of metropolitan Auckland, police said in a statement.

Police said they were speaking to a number of witnesses, "all of whom are understandably upset and are co-operating with the inquiry".

They are not seeking anybody else in connection with the incident.

About 25 family members were at the scene about 9.30pm, where a local kaumatua had been called to bless the toddler's body.

It was believed the incident happened outside the boy's grandparents and that his father was being interviewed by police, the New Zealand Herald reports.

Unofficial data published by Safekids New Zealand, the injury prevention service of Starship Children's Health, says 23 children were killed in driveway run over incidents in the six year period up to June 30 this year.

It said Maori and Pacific children were over-represented in driveway run-overs.

News Poll

Would you feel safe flying Malaysia Airlines?

Would you feel safe flying Malaysia Airlines?

Vote

Opinion

Yahoo! New Zealand News Preferences

Close

Select your region to see news and weather for your area.