Novak Djokovic is reportedly "in talks" to sue the Australian government for his "ill treatment" in the country.
The World No.1 tennis star was deported from Australia on Sunday night after having his visa cancelled.
Djokovic's last-ditch attempt to appeal the decision from the Australian government was rejected in court and he was forced to leave the country.
In an explosive new twist to the saga on Thursday, The Sun is reporting that Djokovic is weighing up a $6 million lawsuit against the Australian government.
The $6 million sum reportedly includes the prize money that Djokovic could have potentially won had he been allowed to defend his Australian Open title.
The Sun quoted a 'source close to Djokovic's agent' Edoardo Artladi as saying: “It’s well known that Novak and his family feel he was poorly treated in the quarantine hotel in Melbourne.
“His mother revealed how it was full of fleas and maggots. He was kept a virtual prisoner.”
Lawyer Toma Fila said: “He was subjected to humiliating treatment. He should sue.”
Djokovic was detained in an immigration detention hotel in Melbourne for five days during his nightmare stay in the country.
Immigration Law expert Maggie Taaffe had previously told the Herald Sun that legal action could be on the cards.
“It’s possible he could certainly make a claim for compensation for being detained unlawfully because that was what the decision ultimately came to – the decision was procedurally unfair, it was unlawful,” she said.
Court to publish reasons for Novak Djokovic decision
Meanwhile, the public are set to find out the full reasons why a three-judge panel of the Federal Court ruled unanimously against Djokovic in his bid to have his visa reinstated.
Chief Justice James Allsop will publish the full bench's reasons for its decision at 4.15pm on Thursday.
Djokovic had been set to launch the defence of his Australian Open title in the competition's opening round on Monday, but was instead deported to Serbia.
The 34-year-old may also face a three-year ban on re-entering the country after his visa has cancelled.
He was also ordered to pay the federal government's legal costs after losing his appeal.
Djokovic said in a statement that he was extremely disappointed with the court's decision to dismiss his application but that he respected its ruling.
"I will cooperate with the relevant authorities in relation to my departure from the country," he said.
Djokovic brought the case after his visa was cancelled for a second time on Friday afternoon.
Immigration Minister Alex Hawke cited a risk to public health and the chance that the unvaccinated Djokovic's presence in Australia could excite anti-vaccination sentiment.
Djokovic's visa had earlier been cancelled on the basis that he didn't have an exemption from the requirement to be vaccinated.
That decision was revoked and the visa reinstated earlier last week.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.