The French national, who worked as a grain harvest casual in Nullawil, in Victoria's north-west, was found unresponsive at a property by friends on October 24.
The 25-year-old was flown to the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne's CBD — some 300 kilometres away — in a critical condition, after puncture wounds were found on his ankle.
Man flown to hospital, placed on life support
It's understood the man suffered from cardiac arrest and was placed on life support, which was turned off two days later, the ABC reported.
While it's suspected the man was bitted by a brown snake, which are among the most poisonous creatures on the planet, Victoria Police say a coroner's report is being prepared to confirm the backpacker's official cause of death.
Employer describes death as a 'real tragedy'
The owner of the Access Grain receival site in Nullawil, Wade Humphreys, said the incident was "a real tragedy". Humphreys said it wasn't immediately apparent whether the man was bitten while working, or elsewhere.
WorkSafe was aware of the fatality, but had no further comment.
"WorkSafe has been notified of the incident and inspectors will determine whether further action is required," they said.
The French embassy also said they were aware of the death.
The backpacker was in Australia on a working holiday visa. Visa holders who perform 88 days of regional work can apply for another year-long visa.
Love Australia's weird and wonderful environment? Get our new weekly newsletter showcasing the week’s best stories.