Bath: Warning issued after battery starts bin lorry fire

A council has warned residents not to put batteries out in their normal rubbish after the contents of a refuse lorry caught fire.

Bath and North East Somerset Council said the fire started when a waste crew was emptying bins in Bath on 26 January.

The council said a fire service investigation concluded the flames were started by discarded batteries.

It reminded residents that batteries should be recycled for safety reasons.

On its X page, formerly known as Twitter, it said: "You can put batteries in a clear bag in your green box with your weekly recycling.

"Help us keep our crews safe and protect the local environment."

Follow BBC West on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Send your story ideas to: