Boy, 15, dies after being stabbed near Leeds school - as two teenagers arrested

A 15-year-old boy has died after being stabbed near a school in Leeds.

The teenager was attacked on St Margaret's Avenue in the Horsforth area of the city, according to the head of a nearby school.

Police were called to the scene just after 3pm on Tuesday to reports of an assault.

They said two teenage boys have been arrested and a murder investigation is under way.

Paul Bell, head of Horsforth School, said the victim is a former pupil.

The boy's family has been informed.

Dr Bell also said of the attack: "We are aware of the distress and upset this has caused students and staff who know the student.

"We will be supporting students and staff in school and will update you as soon as we are able."

A parent at the school, who did not want to be named, said: "It's horrible. It's shocking because it's a nice area.

"You read about these things happening in London and you think it's dangerous to be a teenager there, but you don't think it would happen here.

"I just keep thinking about the parents. He probably went out this morning and they were expecting him to come home, and he's not there."

Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Stacey Atkinson said: "Our investigation is at an early stage and we are carrying out extensive enquiries to establish exactly what led to this needless loss of a young man's life.

"Our neighbourhood police team are working with partners, including schools in the area to offer support and reassurance.

"We have already spoken to a number of witnesses and are keen to hear from anyone who has information about the incident."

Jonathan Pryor, deputy leader of Leeds City Council, said on X (formerly Twitter): "All my thoughts are with his friends, family and the whole community around Horsforth school.

"We will be wrapping round all possible support to the school and his classmates."

Dozens of people gathered for a candlelight vigil on Broadgate Lane, around half a mile from the police cordon on Church Lane.

People hugged each other, with some wiping away tears, as they stood around a bench covered in flowers placed in tribute to the boy.

Two bunches of white flowers had also been left at a cordon on Church Lane.