Chesterfield: Man, 89, dies after tumble dryer house fire

An 89-year-old man has died after a fire at a house in Chesterfield.

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service said it was called to the fire in Darwin Avenue at 05:35 BST on 23 October.

The man was taken to hospital after being rescued, but the fire service was later informed that he had died.

The fire service said it had carried out a joint investigation with Derbyshire Police, and found the blaze was probably started accidentally due to a tumble dryer.

A file has been prepared for the coroner.

Follow BBC East Midlands on Facebook, on X, or on Instagram. Send your story ideas to