Advertisement

Concern, anger mount as internet and television signal cut in Senegal

Access to mobile internet and a television signal were cut in Dakar on Monday, as Senegal grapples with the fallout after President Macky Sall postponed this month's election. Reporters Sans Frontières (RSF) says it is extremely concerned about the latest development.

Many users in the capital said they had been unable to access mobile data on their phones since the morning.

The Sonatel workers' union, Senegal's principal telephone operator, had on Sunday anticipated a possible blackout, saying it "disapproves of any idea by the Senegalese government to cut off or restrict the internet".

The government already suspended mobile data last June amid high tensions in the country.

Authorities in Senegal also suspended the signal of a private television station after accusing it of inciting violence.

The station affected by the Communication Ministry’s decision is Walf TV, the television broadcast service of the privately owned media group Wal Fadjri.

Reporters Sans Frontières (RSF) said it is concerned about the suspension of Internet access via mobile data by the authorities while the country is facing protests against postponement of the presidential election.

"The right to info must be guaranteed as well as the safety of journalists covering the news.

'Very worried'

Sadibou Marong, head of office for sub-Saharan Africa at RSF, told RFI that the media watchdog had recorded 18 incidents against the press between mid-2022 and mid-2023.


Read more on RFI English

Read also:
France calls for postponed Senegal vote to be held 'as soon as possible'
Senegal to probe Constitutional Council's handling of presidential polls
I'd do it all over again, says Senegalese rifleman who fought for France