Fire at Swindon industrial estate caused by gas leak

Firefighters have extinguished a fire caused by a gas leak at an industrial estate.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service (DWFRS) crews were sent to Stirling Road on Swindon's South Marston Industrial Estate at 14:29 GMT.

The area was cordoned off by police whilst firefighters tackled the blaze. The fire was extinguished at 18:06, DWFRS said.

Wales and West Utilities said a damaged gas pipe caused the fire.

Crews from Stratton, Westlea and Swindon attended the scene.

Darren Keighley, Wales & West utilities gas emergency service manager for Swindon, said: "We discovered that a third party working in the area had damaged a gas pipe causing it to leak and catch alight.

"Our engineers worked as safely and as quickly as possible and have stopped the leak, making the area safe and allowing the emergency services to extinguish the fire.

"We appreciate the patience and understanding of local residents and road users while we worked to make the area safe."

Follow BBC West on Facebook, X and Instagram. Send your story ideas to: