WARNING – GRAPHIC IMAGES: Two women have been killed in deadly shark attacks at an Egyptian beach on the Red Sea.
The victims, both from Europe, were attacked about 600 metres apart, and all beaches along the Red Sea tourist strip have now been closed by authorities.
On Friday, a 68-year-old woman from Austria was swimming in the Red Sea near the resort of Hurghada when she was attacked by the shark, the Associated Press reported.
The woman, who has been identified as Elisabeth Sauer by the Austrian political party Die Grünen Kramsach, lost an arm and a leg in the attack.
"We mourn the passing of our Elisabeth Sauer (68), who died through a tragic accident! Our deepest condolences go out to the family," Die Grünen Kramsach said in a Facebook post.
"We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere condolences and compassion. She will forever be remembered for her warm and humanly connecting way."
A security source also said the Austrian woman had been living in Egypt over the past five years with her Egyptian husband.
Ms Sauer was "barely alive" when she was taken to the hospital and despite efforts from medical staff, they were unable to resuscitate her.
A horrific video, which purports to be of the attack, has been widely shared on social media. In the video, people are watching from a pier as blood seeps into the water.
People are heard screaming as Ms Sauer is seen thrashing around in the water. Bystanders on the pier throw a flotation device towards her. Another video shared to Twitter shows Ms Sauer being taken to shore by people on the pier.
On Monday, it was reported the body of a second woman had been found hours later.
The body of a Romanian tourist was found just hours after Ms Sauer was attacked, sources confirmed to Reuters.
The attacks happened within just 600 metres of each other.
— داش (@ATON121) July 2, 2022
Authorities shut down Red Sea beaches
Shark attacks in Egypt's Red Sea are relatively rare. In 2020, a young Ukrainian boy lost an arm and an Egyptian tour guide a leg in a shark attack.
In 2010, there was a spate of shark attacks in the region, which killed one European tourist and maimed several others off Sharm el-Sheikh on the Sinai Peninsula, across the Red Sea from Hurghada, near where the recent attacks happened.
Due to the recent attacks, on Friday, the governor of the Red Sea province authorised the closure of all areas for three days, banning all "sea activities," including diving, snorkelling, windsurfing and kite sailing.
Fishing boats were also banned from the waters off Hurghada.
Egypt's Red Sea resorts, including Hurghada and Sharm el-Sheikh, are some of the country's major beach destinations and are popular with European tourists.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.