FA Cup round-up: Aston Villa and Brighton beaten by Championship sides

Premier League sides Aston Villa and Brighton were eliminated from the FA Cup by lower league sides as Villa lost to Fulham and Brighton were beaten by Sheffield Wednesday in round three.

League One side Tranmere Rovers earned an incredible 3-3 draw against Premier League side Watford after trailing 3-0 at half time, and earlier in the day Rochdale earned a replay against Premier League team Newcastle with a 1-1 draw.

Rochdale 1-1 Newcastle

Rochdale's Aaron Wilbraham celebrates scoring his side's first goal of the game. (Credit: Getty Images)

The day started with Premier League side Newcastle traveled to Spotland for the first ever meeting in any competition between the two teams.

But despite making a decent start to the match when Miguel Almiron’s powerful close range shot gave the away side the lead after 15 minutes, Rochdale equalised with just over 10 minutes to go through the experienced striker Aaron Wilbraham’s close range finish.

The unlikely draw means the two side’s will face off in a replay at St James’ Park.

Burnley 4-2 Peterborough

Burnley's Jay Rodriguez celebrates with team-mate Jeff Hendrick. (Credit: Getty Images)

Burnley made sure they weren’t going to be one of the Premier League sides to be dumped out of the competition by a lower ranked side, by clinically beating Peterborough United of League One.

The Clarets were 3-0 up after 23 minutes thanks to goals from Jay Rodriguez, Erik Pieters and Jeff Hendrick. Posh pulled a goal back through Ivan Toney before half time.

Rodriguez made it 4-1 with his second game to put the result beyond doubt before Ricky Jade-Jones made it 4-2 with 14 minutes to go, and that is how it finished.

Watford 3-3 Tranmere

Connor Jennings of Tranmere Rovers celebrates after scoring his team's first goal. (Credit: Getty Images)

In form Premier League side Watford also made no mistake against League One Tranmere. The Hornets found themselves 2-0 up after only 14 minutes thanks to two goals in two minutes.

20-year-old Tom Dele-Bashiru opened the scoring in only his second appearance for the club, before Nathaniel Chalobah made it 2-0 as the home side eased into a commanding lead.

Roberto Pereyra made it 3-0 with 10 minutes to go before half time, but the away side pulled one back with 25 minutes remaining when Connor Jennings scored his second goal in two games.

With 12 minutes remaining Manny Monthe gave Tranmere a real chance of a stunning comeback when the deficit was reduced to just one goal, 3-2 the score.

And incredibly, the lower league side completed that comeback with three minutes remaining from the penalty spot. Goalscorer Pereyra was then sent off for serious foul play

But there wasn’t enough time for the Superwhites to find a winner. Micky Mellon’s side earning themselves a much deserved replay.

Brighton 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday

Adam Reach of Sheffield Wednesday celebrates. (Credit: Getty Images)

Brighton drew with Chelsea in their last Premier League game, but the Sussex side were behind to Championship team Sheffield Wednesday after 65 minutes when Adam Reach opened the scoring.

Brighton pushed for an equalising goal. Alireza Jahanbakhsh scored an incredibly overhead kick last time out. He tried the same again but this time is sailed over the crossbar.

The home side were unable to find an equaling goal, and the Premier League side were knocked out of the competition by a team one league lower than themselves.

Fulham 2-1 Aston Villa

Fulham's Irish midfielder Harry Arter celebrates scoring their second goal. (Credit: Getty Images)

Anthony Knockaert opened the scoring in the second half of this game as the Championship side looked to upset Premier League Aston Villa.

But the lead lasted just nine minutes as Anwar El Ghazi equalised in the 63rd minute. That lead didn’t last long though as just 11 minutes later and 16 remaining Harry Arter put the home side ahead - the upset certainly looked a possibility.

And dsespite some late pressure from the away side, Fulham held on for victory to knock out the top-flight side, the second side of the day to go out at the third round stage.

READ MORE: Solskjær tells Robin van Persie: ‘You took my shirt number but that’s all’ 

READ MORE: League One Rochdale secure unlikely 1-1 draw with Premier League Newcastle

READ MORE: Former Arsenal star Paul Merson opens up on mental health struggles

Southampton 2-0 Huddersfield

Southampton's Will Smallbone celebrates scoring his side's first goal of the game. (Credit: Getty Images)

Southampton took on Championship side Huddersfield at St Mary’s Stadium and thought they had taken the lead in the 45th minute of the game.

Shane Long believed he had scored his first goal since April last year, but the strike was ruled out after a VAR review.

But just two minutes into the second half and Southampton did take the lead and this time it counted. 19-year-old Will Smallbone making his first team debut and scored his first goal for the club popping up with the goal.

Jake Vokings was making his debut for the club as well and he also found his name on the scoresheet with a stunning goal two minutes from time as the Premier League side progressed to the fourth round of the competition with a 2-0 win.

Preston 4-2 Norwich

Norwich City's Adam Idah celebrates scoring his side's first goal of the game. (Credit: Getty Images)

Norwich travelled to Championship side Preston but were another Premier League side to make sure they progressed for the fourth round of the competition.

18-year-old Adam Idah scored his first goal for Norwich in only his second first team appearance after just two minutes and just before the half hour mark, regular starter Onel Hernandez doubled his side’s advantage in what was proving to be a clinical display.

Idah’s day got even better when he claimed his second goal of the game with seven minutes to go before half time.

Billy Bodin pulled a goal back for Preston early in the second half but the result was put beyond doubt when Idah completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot to round off a dream day for the teenager.

But the scoring wasn’t done there. Josh Harrop pulled a goal back with six minutes remaining to make the score 4-2, and that is how the match finished.

AFC Bournemouth - Luton

Philip Billing of Bournemouth is congratulated by team-mate Junior Stanislas. (Credit: Getty Images)

AFC Bournemouth got off to a flying start against Luton Town of the Championship, with an opener after eight minutes through Philip Billing in a half that lacked clear-cut chances.

Deep into stoppage time Luton were awarded a penalty but Alan Sheehan stepped up to the spot and slipped as he hit the ball which struck the crossbar. Bournemouth survived and the score remained 1-0 to the home side.

Callum Wilson added a second for the top flight side with just over 20 minutes to go and Billing claimed a brace on 79 minutes with his second goal of the match.

Dominic Solanke scored his first Cherries goal to make the score 4-0 and ensure Bournemouth’s progression into the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Leicester - Wigan

Harvey Barnes of Leicester City celebrates with teammates. (Credit: Getty Images)

It was second in the Premier League against 22nd in the Championship at the King Power Stadium for Leicester against Wigan, and it was the home side who scored first in the game.

Tom Pearce put through his own net in the first half on his debut for the club to make his side’s task even harder than it was at the start of the match.

Five minutes before the end of the half Harvey Barnes doubled Leicester’s advantage, 2-0 at the break.

Wigan were unable to get themselves back into the match and Leicester qualify for the fourth round of the competition.

Wolves - Manchester United

Marcus Rashford hits the crossbar. (Credit: Getty Images)

Coming into the game Manchester United hadn’t beaten Wolves in any competition since 2012, but the first half of this game had only one shot on target in a period lacking in action.

Matt Doherty who produced a stunning reaction save out of United goalkeeper Sergio Romero from close range after just 13 minutes.

Marcus Rashford struck the crossbar with 20 minutes to go and Wolves thought they had opened the scoring on 76 minutes when Doherty headed in from close range, but the defender mistimed his effort and struck his own arm with the ball, meaning the goal was ruled out by a VAR review.

Neither side were able to find a winner, meaning the two will meet again in a replay at Old Trafford.

Manchester City - Port Vale

Port Vale's Tom Pope celebrates scoring his side's first goal of the game. (Credit: Getty Images)

Manchester City fielded a very strong line-up against League Two Port Vale at the Etihad Stadium, but it took the current Premier League Champions 20 minutes to find the opening goal.

Oleksandr Zinchenko scored his first goal for a year to put City 1-0 up but sensationally Port Vale equalised before half time. Tom Pope scored the goal with Port Vale’s only shot on on target in the half.

The away side weren’t level for long though. Sergio Aguero put the home side back ahead just seven minutes later, just three minutes before half time.

17-year-old defender Taylor Harwood-Bellis then had a day to remember when he made the score 3-1 after a John Stones shot clipped him on the way to goal.

Phil Foden was the next City youngster to add him name to the scoresheet as Port Vale began to run out of energy.

4-1 the final score.

Sunday sees the FA Cup action continue when Chelsea take on Championship side Nottingham Forest, Tottenham travel to Middlesborough, Sheffield United are at non-league Fylde, Crystal Palace play Derby, Gilingham are against West Ham and there is also a Merseyside derby when Liverpool host Everton.

Featured from our writers: