HUR chief’s public warning on Russia’s attack on Sumy explained by Ukrainian vet

According to Yevhen Dykyi, Kyrylo Budanov informed about possibility of a Russian offensive in Sumy Oblast, so no one could claim that it started unexpectedly
According to Yevhen Dykyi, Kyrylo Budanov informed about possibility of a Russian offensive in Sumy Oblast, so no one could claim that it started unexpectedly

Ukrainian military intelligence chief Kyrylo Budanov publicly warned of Russia’s impending offensive on Sumy, as explained by former Aidar battalion commander and war veteran Yevhen Dykyi in an interview with Radio NV on May 16.

Dykyi told Radio NV that Main Directorate of Intelligence (HUR) had warned of a Russian offensive in Kharkiv Oblast, but despite this, “there was clearly a serious failure,” in particular, residents of Vovchansk were not evacuated, and the city itself was not prepared for hostilities.

“After that, Budanov had to go into the public space and warn about the attack on Sumy, so that no one could say later that they did not warn us and we did not know," said Dykyi.

"If someone in Sumy Oblast is not preparing now, they will not be able to make excuses later, saying that we were not warned, we were not expecting it. Because in Kharkiv Oblast, unfortunately, they clearly did not wait for Russian assault."

Budanov's statement on Russia's possible attack on Sumy

In a commentary to The New York Times published on May 14, head of the HUR said that Russian attacks in Kharkiv Oblast would continue “for another three to four days,” after which Russian troops are expected to “make a decisive offensive in direction of Sumy.”

He also claimed that Russia maintains a small grouping of forces in border area towards Sumy Oblast.

Head of the National Security and Defense Council's Center for Countering Disinformation, Andriy Kovalenko, noted that the Russians planned to attack Sumy Oblast in conjunction with Kharkiv.

Read also: Russia plans to open another new front in Sumy Oblast in the coming days, former insider tells NV

In response to Budanov's words, Sumy governor, Volodymyr Artyukh, said that situation in oblast is under control, civilians had been evacuated from Bilopil community after recommendation of the military, and the construction of defensive structures in oblast is almost completed.

Deputy Head of Sumy District Council Volodymyr Bitsak stated that the Russians would not have enough forces to attack Sumy, Kharkiv, and eastern Ukraine at the same time on May 15.

Sumy city administration reported that about 200 children had been evacuated from the frontline areas of Sumy Oblast during three days of planned evacuation on May 17.

Read also:

We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!

Read the original article on The New Voice of Ukraine