'I'm A Celeb': Naughty Boy shares personal reason for doing into the camp

·Contributor
·3-min read
Naughty Boy is taking part in 'I'm A Celebrity' to help raise awareness for Dementia UK because of his mum. (ITV)
Naughty Boy is taking part in 'I'm A Celebrity' to help raise awareness for Dementia UK because of his mum. (ITV)

Naughty Boy has revealed he is taking part in I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! because of his mum.

The 36-year-old music producer is heading to Gwrych Castle in north Wales for the ITV reality show and explained he has signed up to help raise awareness for charity Dementia UK, inspired by his 68-year-old mother. She was diagnosed with vascular dementia after suffering a stroke in 2017.

Naughty Boy, whose real name is Shahid Khan, said: "I think it is important for people like myself to create awareness about it. Dementia UK needs constant funding, and I am going to miss Mum the most whilst I am away in the Castle.

Read more: 'I'm A Celebrity' 2021 full cast confirmed including Richard Madeley and Arlene Phillips

"I live with Mum, and I am used to seeing her all the time. Mum hasn’t been very well, and it is going to be difficult for me being away. But that said, I think the break will be good for both of us.”

And the music producer insisted he is not taking part in the reality show in the hope of finding a new career.

He said: “I am actually too busy at the moment. And I am going to be working right up until I go into the Castle. I am working on a film at present and I am missing a lot of things. I will be busy again when I come out.

"I am not going into the Castle to see what else I can do!”

The musician — who has worked with stars including Beyonce, Sam Smith, Britney Spears and One Direction's Zayn Malik — has previously spoken about helping to care for his mother.

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 21: Naughty Boy holds an image of his mother who suffers from vascular dementia, during a Memory Walk on August 21, 2020 in London, England. Memory Walk is Alzheimer's Society's series of sponsored walks to raise money for the charity.  (Photo by Jeff Spicer/Getty Images)
Naughty Boy took part in a Memory Walk for the Alzheimer's Society's in honour of his mother in August 2020. (Getty Images)

He told BBC's Victoria Derbyshire in 2019: "The hardest part is knowing that Mum isn't the same woman she was even a few years ago. Mum as fully independent before the stroke."

He revealed that he was using music to process his own feelings about his mother's condition, but music also helped her.

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - FEBRUARY 06:  Prince Charles, Prince of Wales speaks to music producer Naughty Boy during a reception and dinner for the Britain Asian Trust at Buckingham Palace on February 6, 2018 in London, England. (Photo by Alastair Grant - Pool/Getty Images)
Prince Charles, Prince of Wales speaks to music producer Naughty Boy during a reception at Buckingham Palace, 2018 (Alastair Grant - Pool/Getty Images)

Naughty Boy said: "Now I understand Mum's condition I use music as a tool to make her happy. The songs that she used to listen to in the 60s and 70s, if I just play that randomly there will just be a smile on her face."

Read more: Chris Packham calls for I'm A Celeb to 'shape up'

The musician will be joined in the Welsh castle by celebrities including TV presenter Richard Madeley, former Strictly Come Dancing judge Dame Arlene Phillips, former Saturdays singer Frankie Bridge and retired footballer David Ginola.

I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here! begins on Sunday, 21 November at 9pm on ITV.

Watch: Who are the stars entering the I'm A Celebrity castle for 2021?

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting