Isis claims responsibility for Streatham terror attack

Will Taylor
News Reporter
Sudesh Amman was shot dead by police outside Boots in Streatham, South London (PA Images)

Isis has claimed responsibility for the terror knife attack in south London on Sunday.

The terror group did not provide evidence of how it was behind the attack but claimed that Sudesh Amman, who was shot and killed by armed police after launching his knife attack, was part of the organisation.

Its Amaq news agency said on Monday: “The perpetrator of the attack in Streatham district in south London yesterday is a fighter of Islamic State, and carried out the attack in response to calls to attack the citizens of coalition countries.”

Armed police at the scene in Streatham High Road, south London. (PA Images)

Amman, who was jailed for possessing and distributing terrorist documents in December 2018, had recently been freed from prison.

He had previously praised Isis, had shared an online Al Qaeda magazine and encouraged his girlfriend to behead her parents.

According to witnesses, the terrorist entered the Low Price Stores in Streatham before 2pm, took a cheap knife from the shelves and fled the shop after the shopkeeper tried to stop him.

He then removed the packaging from the blade, stabbed a woman in her 50s in the back, then stabbed a man in his 40s outside the White Lion pub nearby.

Up to three armed officers dressed in civilian clothing shouted after Amman ran up the road to Streatham Hill railway station.

Read more from Yahoo News UK:

Streatham knife attacker was convicted terrorist with 'life goal' of 'dying a martyr'

Who was the Streatham attacker and why was he imprisoned?

Streatham terrorist's mother spoke to her 'polite boy' hours before attack

They shot Amman outside a Boots branch about 100 metres from the shop where Amman took the knife.

An officer kicked away his knife before rushing back after he saw Amman was wearing a “suicide vest” - which was later confirmed to be a hoax.

The man injured at the pub is no longer in a life-threatening condition at hospital after receiving treatment. The woman was discharged from hospital.

Another woman, in her 20s, was treated after she received minor injuries from shattered glass, which is thought to have happened when policed fired at the terrorist.