Jay Leno may need skin grafts after suffering third-degree burns.
The 72-year-old TV host - who is also an avid car collector - suffered major burns after one of his vehicles burst into flames while he was in his garage after a "fuel leak" caused an explosion which set him on fire before being rescued by close friend Dave but now may need surgery to repair his skin.
He told TMZ: "I was working on my 1907 White Steam Car, a clogged fuel line, There was a fuel leak and gasoline sprayed on my face and hands. A spark triggered an explosion but Dave was right there and jumped on me to smother the flames. I'm now dealing with third-degree burns and may need skin grafts."
The outlet went on to report that the former 'Tonight star did not suffer any damage to his ears or eyes during the incident, but is expected to remain in hospital for the next five to 10 days.
Jay - has been married to Mavis Leno since 1980 - was due to perform at Financial Brand Forum 2022 in Las Vegas on Sunday (13.11.22) but attendees of the financial event were notified via email that Jay would not be able to fulfil his scheduled appearance because of a "very serious medical emergency", although they were unable to elaborate further.
The email read: "His family was not able to provide us very many details, but there was a very serious medical emergency that is preventing Jay from traveling. All we know is that he is alive, so our prayers go out to him and his family tonight."
Prior to Jay's confirmation of the incident on Monday (14.11.22) evening, TMZ had reported that he was currently being treated on the burns ward at the Grossman Burn Center in West Hills, California but that there are no certainties surrounding his condition at present.
A source told the outlet: "Jay was in the L.A. garage where he stores his cars on Sunday when one of the cars erupted into flames without warning. The flames burned the left side of Jay's face but thankfully did not penetrate his eye or his ear. Jay has cancelled all of his engagements for the duration of the week."