The fourth season of Jane the Virgin wrapped up with a bang in April 2018, which feels like forever ago. What's going to happen to Jane, Xiomara, and the rest of the gang? How much lavender is Rogelio going to wear? And most importantly, who is the narrator?! Hopefully all of these questions will be answered soon, but until then, here's a roundup of everything we know about the show's final farewell.
1. It will be the show's final season. In April 2018, the CW announced that it had renewed the show for a fifth season, but it's Gina Rodriguez who started the "final" season conversation one month prior. While speaking at event in Texas, she referred to the next season as being the show's last one. Later, Brad Silberling, an executive producer on the show, echoed Gina's comments and called season five the "final" season, and in May 2018, the CW officially confirmed that the show's fifth season would be its last.
2. Gina Rodriguez will be back in the director's chair. Gina directed her first episode of the series in season four ("Chapter Seventy-Four"), and in the same interview where she called season five the show's last, she mentioned that she plans to direct again before the show is over. "When it came to directing Jane, as the star of the show - as a woman, as Latina, I was like, 'I need to come so correct that I cannot be denied,'" she said, calling her time behind the camera "the most incredible experience."
3. Mark your calendars: the final season will premiere on March 27, 2019, at 9 p.m. After announcing renewals, the CW confirmed its 2018-2019 schedule in May 2018, and according to the network, JtV will not return until midseason. The premiere date was officially revealed by the CW in January 2019, making it the best news of 2019 (so far).
4. The identity of the narrator will be revealed. One of the best parts of Jane the Virgin is Anthony Mendez's charming narration, but the narrator's identity in the world of the show has thus far been kept a secret. According to creator Jennie Snyder Urman, we'll find out who he really is before the show ends. She also said there have been hints throughout the series, so if you feel like doing some sleuthing, it might be time to go back and watch old episodes for clues.
5. MAJOR SPOILER ALERT: You'll find out more about That Person Who Reappeared in the season-five premiere. At the very end of "Chapter Eighty-One," Jane's previously deceased husband Michael turned out to be alive. I know, right?! Already, theories are circulating that it's not really him, but Jennie says we'll find out what's going on right away. She also told Deadline that this is not another incident involving secret twins, so if that's your theory, keep thinking.
6. ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT: The person who J. R. shot is someone that Petra knows. In the same Deadline interview, Jennie said that the victim is (1) not Magda and (2) someone we have already seen on the show.
7. There won't be a big time jump, at least not in the premiere. "We'll pick up pretty continuously once Jane comes out of her faint," Jennie told Variety after the season-four finale. "We left everything at the height, we can't skip over any of it! There are so many questions. We have to return to that room with Jane and watch Michael and Raf."
This post will be updated as more Jane the Virgin season five details emerge.
('You Might Also Like',)