Latrell Mitchell news rocks NSW before Origin 3 amid Tom Trbojevic development at Manly

The door has opened for the Manly star to earn a stunning Origin recall.

The Blues' State of Origin hopes have taken a crushing blow ahead of the Game 3 decider on July 17, with Latrell Mitchell set to be ruled out for NSW with a foot injury. The devastating development could open the door for Tom Trbojevic to earn a recall to Michael Maguire's Blues side, with the Manly superstar returning to the NRL at centre in Manly's away game against North Queensland on Saturday night.

The Daily Telegraph's Michael Carayannis reported on Saturday that Mitchell was set to be sidelined for multiple weeks after suffering a serious foot injury in Thursday night's victory over Parramatta. Mitchell had another blinder as the Rabbitohs won their fifth match on the trot, scoring a try and setting up two others, to go with one line-break and three line-break assists.

Pictured right to left is Latrell Mitchell and Tom Trbojevic.
Latrell Mitchell has reportedly been ruled out of State of Origin Game 3 in a crushing blow for the Blues that could open the door for Manly star Tom Trbojevic. Pic: Getty

Reports indicate Mitchell played through the pain of the foot injury on Thursday night but is "considered next to no chance" to feature for Maguire's Blues side at Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday week. It's a massive setback for NSW after Mitchell was one of the standouts in the Blues' 38-18 thumping of the Maroons in Game 2 where he scored one try and set up another for Brian To'o in an electrifying display at centre. Mitchell was also enormous in defence and helped the Blues bully the Maroons with some eye-catching tackles on Maroons superstars Reece Walsh and Valentine Holmes.

Brien Seeney of the 'NRL Physio' account posted the news about Mitchell on Saturday and Blues and South Sydney officials confirmed to AAP that the 27-year-old was set to undergo scans to assess the extent of the damage. "Latrell Mitchell is likely to be ruled out of Origin 3 with a foot injury," The NRL Physio posted after referencing the report from News Corp's Michael Carayannis. "Undergoing scans to confirm nature and severity but considered likely to require multi-week recovery. Huge blow for the Blues & Rabbitohs."

South Sydney's five-game winning streak has a lot to do with the incredible form of their star fullback and Mitchell's likely absence for the Origin decider will be a huge relief for Billy Slater's Maroons. Trbojevic is among a number of stars who could fill the massive hole left by Mitchell at centre for NSW, with Newcastle's Bradman Best, Bulldogs gun Matt Burton and Roosters flyer Joseph Suaalii - who was sent off after seven minutes in Game 1 - other potential candidates.

Trbojevic has experience playing at centre for NSW and was the player of the series when the Blues won the Shield in 2021. But the Manly star has been sidelined for the last eight weeks with his latest hamstring injury and would have to come through Saturday night's showdown against the Cowboys unscathed if he hopes to be considered by Maguire. The Blues coach refused to rule out a recall for Turbo earlier in the week, before the unfortunate situation around Mitchell came to light.

RELATED:

Manly's former Dally M Medallist has made no secret of his desire to play in a NSW side captained by his brother Jake and Sea Eagles coach Anthony Seibold says the club wouldn't try to stand in his way if an Origin recall loomed. “I’ve never stopped a player from playing representative football,” Seibold said in Townsville.

Seen here, Tom Trbojevic playing for Manly against the Dolphins in round 10.
Tom Trbojevic is returning at centre for Manly against North Queensland in his first game since a hamstring injury against the Dolphins in round 10. Pic: Getty

“My thing would be that if they take him into camp that they play him in the 17 and don’t play him as the 18th man because he’s missed so much football. The Blues will need to do what they need to do. I’d love to see him in the 17, but the 17 Blues players played outstanding footy in game 2 so I’d expect Madge (NSW coach Michael Maguire) and the Blues guys to choose the same 17. Turbo is an elite player, so if he was to get an opportunity then that would be wonderful.”

Suaalii may have slipped down the pecking order for Maguire after being sent off in Game 1 for his high shot on Reece Walsh, but the Roosters star will be available for selection after serving his four-game ban. Knights centre Best has put forward arguably the strongest case to be picked at centre for the Blues and will have another chance to press his claims in Sunday's match against Canberra.