Man found guilty of double rape of homeless woman

Liam Stimpson being led from custody van
Liam Stimpson, 24, had already been found guilty of grievous bodily harm with intent [BBC]

A man has been found guilty of raping a homeless woman while he was on a night out and filming the attack.

Liam Stimpson, 24, from Llanrumney, Cardiff, was convicted of two counts of rape and one count of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent.

The attack on the 40-year-old, which Stimpson filmed on his phone, happened on 27 December last year in Cardiff city centre.

A jury at Cardiff Crown Court had already found Stimpson guilty of a separate charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and he will be sentenced on Friday.

Warning: Contains distressing content

Stimpson, who wept and howled as the jury returned their verdict and began hitting his head against reinforced glass of the dock, denied the charges, claiming the woman suggested the filming as part of role play after he paid her for oral sex.

He turned to his girlfriend and parents in the public gallery crying: "I didn't do it, I love you", before being led away.

Judge Jeremy Jenkins told him only a prison sentence could be justified and he faced a lengthy period behind bars when he is sentenced.

The judge also paid tribute to the jury, who were in tears as the verdicts were read out.

"You have been exposed necessarily to some very unpleasant circumstances. This is the life and work of the court," he said.

"We see it day in and day out, but we must never forget the affect it has on you."

Stimpson’s victim was punched and kicked during the attack under a bridge near Cardiff Central railway station in the early hours.

She begged her attacker to stop as she was stripped naked, beaten and raped twice.

Videos taken from Stimpson's mobile phone showed the woman with a severely swollen and bleeding face, her right eye completely closed.

She lifted her hands to her attacker and said: "Don't beat me up baby, don't beat me please. I've got kids."

Mr Stimpson could be heard replying: "I'll tell you what to do. I'm the boss."

He then demanded she remove her coat, despite the cold and wet conditions.

The bridge near Cardiff Central train station where the attack happened
The attack occurred under a bridge near Cardiff Central train station [BBC]

Nicola Powell, prosecuting, said: "He battered her, humiliated and degraded her for his own sexual perversions."

The woman could then be seen on CCTV running to the junction of St Mary Street at about 04:45.

She was chased, punched and repeatedly kicked on the ground before running into a nearby pub where a staff member gave her their coat and hoodie.

The police arrived shortly afterwards.

Stimpson was in the city centre on Boxing Day celebrating his birthday when he met the woman, who was a rough sleeper.

He befriended her, telling her he would get her something to eat if she went with him, before launching his attack.