Man with schizophrenia admits throwing raw pork bone into mosque

·Senior Reporter
·2-min read
The Singapore State Courts. (PHOTO: Dhany Osman / Yahoo News Singapore)
The Singapore State Courts. (PHOTO: Dhany Osman / Yahoo News Singapore)

SINGAPORE — A 57-year-old man threw a raw pork bone into a mosque in Chinatown in January, a community court heard on Thursday (9 September). 

Two days later, Lim Beng Wei, who has been suffering from from schizophrenia for over two decades and is unemployed, did the same thing again. 

At the State Courts on Thursday, Lim, pleaded guilty to one charge of public nuisance.

He will be sentenced at a later date pending a report on his suitability for a mandatory treatment order (MTO). A government psychiatrist found that at the time of the offence, Lim was suffering from a relapse of his medical condition.

Offenders given an MTO, a community-based sentencing option, will have to undergo psychiatric treatment at the Institute of Mental Health (IMH) for a period of up to three years instead of serving jail time.

Two other counts of public nuisance will be considered in sentencing when Lim returns to court on 13 October.

About the case

The court heard that on 12 January, Lim threw a raw pork bone from where he was standing outside the Al-Abrar mosque along Telok Ayer Street onto the building's second floor balcony in full view of worshippers.

He repeated his actions again on 14 January. Later that afternoon, he also threw a slab of butter to the roof of Singapore Music Box Museum, which is also located along Telok Ayer Street, in full view of members of the public.

According to a report prepared by an IMH psychiatrist, Lim has had various relapses of paranoid schizophrenia in 2011 and 2018.

He was given a two-year MTO in January 2019, reportedly for mischief for smashing glass in various lifts. He attended outpatient appointments regularly as part of the sentence and was also given an antipsychotic medication via intramuscular injections, the court heard. However, due to side effects, the injections were stopped and he has since been taking oral medications. 

The psychiatrist who assessed him in relation to his latest offences found that his psychotic symptoms had contributed to the commission of the crimes. But Lim also admitted to not being fully compliant in taking his oral medications.

Despite his medical illness, Lim was also found not to have been of unsound mind at the time of the crimes and was aware of his actions.

The prosecution did not object to an MTO suitability report being called.

The maximum punishment for public nuisance is up to three months' jail and a fine of up to $2,000.

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting