MAFS groom exposes why production was forced to halt for two weeks

Sarah Carty
Features & Style Editor

Married At First Sight groom David Cannon has exposed the reason why producers had to halt filming for two weeks during the show. 

Speaking on’s Not Here To Make Friends podcast, David said he was “on the verge of a mental breakdown” after discovering his ‘wife’ on the show, Hayley Vernon, had been caught having ‘dry sex’ with Michael Goonan. 

Production is believed to have stopped after it all went down (which is due to be aired tonight on the show) with producers scrambling to figure out how the storylines would play out.

MAFS groom David has revealed that filming halted for two weeks during the show. Photo: Channel Nine

“The truth was, I was at the verge of a mental breakdown, I had been spoken to like a piece of sh*t for several weeks, so they put me in a separate apartment and we agreed upon some terms about how I was going to move forward,” David said. 

“We agreed that whatever Hayley said, I would be allowed to leave … That’s what happened in the two weeks of shut down, coming to that agreement.”

In the same interview, David claimed Vanessa and Chris split after a massive cheating scandal was exposed. 

David said Hayley had gone out with Chris and Michael to Darling Harbour on a night out while he stayed behind in former contestants Amanda and Tash’s room, as he and Hayley weren’t getting on. 

Hayley Vernon is reported to have cheated with groom Michael. Photo: Channel Nine

Suddenly he heard Vanessa screaming in the hallway and ran out to see if she was ok, with fellow contestant Josh doing the same thing.

It then came out that Vanessa had found Hayley and Michael dry humping on her bed, according to David. 

“What they’ve shown tonight is Chris and Vanessa parting ways, but that was actually three days after the cheating,” he said.

Back in October, a source told Hit Network’s Nick, Jess & Simon that things got so heavy on the show that producers were forced to stop filming to reevaluate where things were going.

“You wonder how loose it got, apparently, they’ve just started filming again after a two-week break because the producers were just like, ‘this is going too far, we need to resettle ourselves, take a two-week filming break and then work out how we can tackle the rest of the season,” the radio hosts relayed.

They went on to speculate about the producers and commented that, “for them to go, ‘guys we need a two-week break,’ means whatever they [the contestants] did must be really bad.”

“Apparently they’ve needed to check someone in [to a rehab facility] because they’ve gone so loose on the show that they were worried about their mental wellbeing,” the hosts repeated.

According to New Idea, producers had to step in as tensions between participants escalated to a point where there was a real fear of violence.

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at