Nick Kyrgios to miss French Open due to foot injury from robbery, manager says
Nick Kyrgios has had a bad year, and now he will miss the French Open.
The Australian player's manager, Daniel Horsfall, told The Canberra Times that his client won't make the trip to Roland Garros due to a cut on his foot that he sustained during an armed robbery at his home May 1.
The alleged robbery reportedly saw a man threaten Kyrgios' mother with a gun and steal his Tesla. After the incident, Kyrgios reportedly realized he had cut his foot while trying to help his family and track down the suspect.
The cut turned out to be a serious problem for Kyrgios on the court and has been slow to heal, preventing him from ramping up his on-court training over the past few weeks. Kyrgios underwent knee surgery in January, and his recovery was reportedly going well until the cut.
From the Times:
"We needed to be at a point that he could comfortably play five sets. Right when we were getting stuck into the loading period, the [alleged] armed robbery happened at his house. During the ordeal, he cut his foot quite badly.
"We don't know when it happened, but it's quite a large laceration. The location of the wound, it's been open for almost a week and a half now. It's not healing correctly, and he can't put in the work on court, so he's been off court for almost two weeks now.
"His knee is fine, it's just that he can't get his loading up so we can manage the rest of his body correctly and he doesn't injure something else when he gets out there."
Kyrgios addressed the news with a tweet.
Only human https://t.co/90lBrInZem
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) May 18, 2023
The French Open, which also had Rafael Nadal withdraw Thursday, is scheduled to begin May 28.
The 28-year-old Kyrgios had already missed the Australian Open after that knee injury forced him to withdraw the day before he was scheduled to begin play. He has not played an ATP-sanctioned event since October.
In addition to his injury woes, Kyrgios' grandmother died earlier this week, as he announced on Instagram with the caption "Seems like I can’t catch a break right now…… RIP Yiayia, the best we could ask for. Go enjoy your time with Papou now."
Kyrgios also pleaded guilty in February to assaulting an ex-girlfriend but had the charge dismissed without conviction by a judge in Australia.