‘Not used to driving on left side’: Dutch man fined for running down officer on motorbike

A Dutch photographer covering a cycling race in Adelaide has escaped a conviction for causing a crash that injured a police motorcyclist, telling the court he wasn't used to driving on the left side of the road.

Wouter Roosenboom appeared in Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday and pleaded guilty to driving without due care in relation to the incident at the Tour Down Under, in the Adelaide Hills on Friday.

He told the court he was very sorry but wasn't used to driving on the left side of the road and didn't see the motorcyclist until the rider collided with the passenger side of his car at an intersection in Gumeracha.

A Dutch photographer has admitted driving without due care and causing a crash with a police motorcyclist. Source: 7 News

The impact flipped the officer over the vehicle. He sustained a concussion, a lacerated leg and soft tissue injuries.

He was taken to hospital with concussion and a lacerated leg but was discharged the same day.

The court was told the officer had no memory of the crash, but had his blue and red lights flashing on his bike immediately before the collision.

Roosenboom told Magistrate Alf Grasso he was very sorry but did not see the motorbike before the impact because of the large number of people in the area.

Magistrate Grasso didn't record a conviction, instead he fined Roosenboom $300.

Wouter Roosenboom appeared in Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday and pleaded guilty to driving without due care. Source: AAP

The Tour Down Under peloton had just passed through the town on stage four of this year's race.

"I just didn't see it. I was just shocked," he told the court.

"I'm really sorry for what happened."

He was in Adelaide to cover the Tour Down Under cycling race, which attracts riders from all over the world. Source: 7 News

The 53-year-old repeated his apologies outside the court and said while he hoped to return to Australia, he had no plans to drive here again.

"I will never drive a car here again because it's too risky," he said.

"I love this country, I love the Tour Down Under.

"I hope to be back."

Roosenboom said he had already tried to apologise in person to the injured officer and would try again before leaving Australia next week.

Race organisers told 7 News there was no plan to introduce new safety protocols for the media.