Safety work has been fast tracked on Sydney's M4 after a tradesman died in a multi-vehicle pile-up on his way to work.
Irishman Francis Shanley, 36, died in the crash involving at least eight cars and a truck at the Church Street off-ramp in Mays Hill in May.
Debris was left sprawled 200 metres along the motorway.
Roads Minister Andrew Constance on Wednesday said the government would fast-track a $30 million upgrade of the exit ramp - the last before tolls apply - to "ensure drivers can experience safer and smoother journeys as soon as possible".
It comes after a safety review by the Centre of Road Safety following the crash.
The review, which didn't look at the specifics of the May incident, said casualty crashes at the ramp notably increased after a toll was introduced on the M4 in 2017 but substantially dropped after safety works in 2018.
It suggested the Church Street ramp still has more casualty crashes than other M4 off-ramps.
Mr Constance said the ramp's turning lanes quickly became congested in peak times which could create queues on the motorway.
"This upgrade will provide a third right turn lane at the bottom of the exit ramp and extend the length of the existing left turn lane, to help keep traffic moving more quickly," he said in a statement.
The minister told reporters there was still an onus of responsibility on motorists to stick to the road rules and drive safely.
Work at the ramp, which was previously earmarked for later in 2019, has already begun and is expected to last six months.
Francis Omigie has been charged over the May crash, with police alleging the 53-year-old was driving on the motorway before he changed lanes and suddenly stopped in front of another vehicle.