Pictured: Boy, 17, who died after 'falling into greenhouse' while 'fleeing fireworks'

Watch: Chaotic scenes on Halifax Street as fireworks 'hurled at police'

This is the first picture of a 17-year-old boy who died after allegedly falling into a greenhouse amid reports of fireworks being thrown at riot police on Bonfire Night.

Qais Muhammad was named locally on Monday following the incident on Bonfire Night in Halifax, West Yorkshire.

It is understood the teenager died after jumping over a fence in a back garden and landing into a greenhouse, where he was cut fatally by the glass.

He had been running away from Vickerman Street on Saturday evening, after reports that fireworks had been thrown in the direction of riot police.

Qais Muhammad died after reportedly falling into a greenhouse while fleeing fireworks. (Reach) (Reach)

Residents said fireworks were hurled at riot police who had been called to deal with the mayhem. One man said the scenes "resembled World War Three".

A 33-year-old woman who lives on Vickerman Street, who did not want to be named, said she called an ambulance after noticing Qais had injured himself while running through back gardens on the street.

She said: "He jumped on to the greenhouse and that is how he got injured."

Read more: Fireworks launched at police and firefighters dealing with Bonfire Night blazes

Police outside a property on Vickerman Street in Halifax after a 17-year-old boy died after reportedly falling into a greenhouse. (Reach) (Reach)

She said another resident helped the 17-year-old as an operator from Yorkshire Ambulance Service gave instructions over the phone before an ambulance arrived.

"It was an accident. There was nothing we could do," she said.

He was taken to hospital but later died.

West Yorkshire Police said the force has referred itself to the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) as officers had been called to the street to deal with a fireworks incident before Qais was found seriously injured.

A spokesperson for the force said on Sunday: "Police were contacted by the ambulance service shortly before 8.15pm yesterday evening following reports of an injured male in the garden of a property on Vickerman Street, Halifax.

"The 17-year-old male was taken to hospital where, sadly, he died of his injuries. A scene is currently on in the area as officers establish the full facts of what has happened.

"The matter has been reported to the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) as police were called to the vicinity due to a report of fireworks being set off prior to the incident."