Prince William and Prince Harry have issued a firm denial to a ‘false’ newspaper story speculating on their ‘rift’, calling the story “offensive and potentially harmful”.
Their statement came ahead of Queen Elizabeth’s statement released on Monday evening, and did not name the specific news outlet, though it is believed to refer to a report by The Times that the brothers ‘rift’ was a result of William’s attitude towards Megan Markle.
“Despite clear denials, a false story ran in a UK newspaper today speculating about the relationship between the Duke of Sussex and The Duke of Cambridge,” a Palace spokesperson said on the brothers behalf.
“For brothers who care so deeply about the issues surrounding mental health, the use of inflammatory language in this way is offensive and potentially harmful.”
Breaking: Joint statement this morning from William and Harry over reports of bullying.— Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) January 13, 2020
‘Despite clear denials, a false story ran in a UK newspaper today speculating about the relationship between The Duke of Sussex and The Duke of Cambridge.
‘For brothers who care so deeply...
The statement came ahead the family’s emergency meeting at Sandringham following the Sussexes’ announcement last week that they plan to step down as senior royals.
Yahoo has contacted Buckingham Palace for comment.
Queen speaks out after emergency meeting
Queen Elizabeth II has issued a loaded statement in the wake of the talks, addressing grandson Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle’s shock exit and confirming a compromise is being hashed out.
In the brief message, the Queen - who was reportedly caught off-guard by the Sussexes’ bombshell last week - acknowledged that she would have “preferred” for the Duke and Duchess to maintain their royal roles, but said she is “supportive” of their change in plan.
Over the weekend it was reported that the Duke of Cambridge has said he can no longer “put his arm around” his brother.
According to The Sunday Times, Prince William said he feels sorrow that he and his brother are now “separate entities”.
“I’ve put my arm around my brother all our lives and I can’t do that any more; we’re separate entities,” the newspaper quoted him as saying, according to a ‘close friend’
“I’m sad about that. All we can do, and all I can do, is try and support them and hope that the time comes when we’re all singing from the same page. I want everyone to play on the team.”
Rift rumours from the beginning
Last year Prince Harry addressed rumours of a reported rift with his brother claiming they are “certainly on different” paths and admitting: “Inevitably stuff happens”.
The Duke opened up in a documentary about him and Meghan’s royal tour of Africa.
“Part of this role, part of this job and this family being under the pressure that it is under, inevitably stuff happens,” he responded.
“But we are brothers, we will always be brothers. We are certainly on different paths at the moment but I will always be there for him as I know he will be for me.
He went on to say though they don’t see each other very often he “loves him dearly”.
While he didn’t directly discuss a potential fall-out the Duke went on to say the “majority of this stuff is created out of nothing.”
He added: “As brothers, you have good days and bad days.”
Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at email@example.com.