The Metropolitan Police told PEOPLE Tuesday that the alleged incident involving the comedian took place in Soho, London in 2003
WARNING: Contains graphic details of alleged sexual assault that some readers may find distressing.
Russell Brand is the subject of a new allegation of sexual assault.
The Metropolitan Police said the alleged attack took place in London in 2003 and they are in contact with the woman concerned.
The new claim comes after U.K. newspapers The Times and The Sunday Times published allegations of rape, sexual assault and abuse by four women against the comedian, 48, on Saturday.
On Monday, The Times also reported that “several women” had contacted the publication since it published the initial reporting.
A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police told PEOPLE in a written statement, Tuesday: “On Sunday, 17 September, the Met received a report of a sexual assault which was alleged to have taken place in Soho in central London in 2003. Officers are in contact with the woman and will be providing her with support.”
“We first spoke with The Sunday Times on Saturday, 16 September and have since made further approaches to The Sunday Times and Channel 4 to ensure that anyone who believes they have been the victim of a sexual offence is aware of how to report this to the police,” the statement continued.
“We continue to encourage anyone who believes they may have been a victim of a sexual offence, no matter how long ago it was, to contact us."
The incidents reported on Saturday allegedly occurred between 2006 and 2013 when Brand was presenting shows for BBC Radio 2 and Channel 4 television and starring in movies such as Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
One woman accused Brand of raping her against a wall in his Los Angeles home in 2012, while a former colleague alleged Brand — who has been married to Laura Gallacher since 2017 — sexually assaulted her in 2013. One of the women also claimed she was 16 and still at school while Brand was 31 at the time he allegedly assaulted her in London in 2006.
U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has also commented on the claims via his official spokesperson, calling them "very serious and concerning," PEOPLE confirmed Tuesday.
The spokesperson added that Sunak "has been clear that there should never be any space for harassment regardless of where it is found."
Brand has denied the claims. On Friday, he shared a video on social media saying he "absolutely" refuted the “serious allegations.” He added that the claims were "extremely egregious and aggressive attacks."
The BBC, Channel 4 and Banijay — the new owners of producers Endemol whom Brand previously worked for — have since opened investigations into the allegations.
On Tuesday, YouTube also revealed it had suspended Brand’s ability to make money from his channel on the platform, which has 6.6 million subscribers, following the allegations.
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
A spokesperson for YouTube said in a statement per The Guardian, “We have suspended monetisation on Russell Brand’s channel for violating our creator responsibility policy. If a creator’s off-platform behaviour harms our users, employees or ecosystem, we take action to protect the community.”
Trevi Women and Children's Charity UK, have also cut ties with the actor, while his literary agent Tavistock Wood confirmed to PEOPLE that it would no longer represent him.
“Russell Brand categorically and vehemently denied the allegation made in 2020, but we now believe we were horribly misled by him. Tavistock Wood has terminated all professional ties to Brand," the company said in a written statement.
On Monday, it was also revealed that the remaining dates on Brand's U.K. comedy tour had been postponed.
The BBC also announced Tuesday that it had removed some content featuring Brand from its streaming services.
“The BBC does not ban or remove content when it is a matter of public record, unless we have justification for doing so," the BBC told PEOPLE in a statement. "There is limited content featuring Russell Brand on iPlayer and Sounds. We’ve reviewed that content and made a considered decision to remove some of it, having assessed that it now falls below public expectations.”
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, please contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) or go to rainn.org.
For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read the original article on People.