Shocking moment girl, 4, mauled in brutal dog attack

·2-min read

A four-year-old girl has been left with horrific injuries following a brutal dog attack.

Since two pit bulls mauled her, Asiye Ates has been suffering from facial paralysis ever since and will undergo surgery to have her nerves repaired.

The toddler, who is the daughter of a building caretaker, was attacked and seriously injured by the two dogs who belonged to five people in an apartment complex in the district of Sahinbey in the Turkish province of Gaziantep on December 22.

Asiye Ates wearing pink sunglasses is pictured left with a dog. On the right is footage of passers-by intervening in the dog attack.
Asiye Ates (left), 4, was mauled in a dog attack. Pictured right is the moment passers-by intervene. Source: CEN/Australscope

The footage, which was filmed by a resident and shared on Twitter, where it has gone viral with 2.1 million views, shows one of the dogs attacking the girl as the other is restrained by passers-by.

A man eventually manages to pull away the limp girl, who is seen covered in blood, as the cameraperson is heard shouting: "Call an ambulance, someone should call an ambulance."

The Gaziantep Governor's Office said the girl suffered serious injuries to her head and throat, and was taken to a hospital in a life-threatening condition, where she is currently receiving treatment for her injuries.

"Unfortunately, she has facial paralysis. There are a few nerves going to the face. Some of those nerves were damaged. We're planning facial nerve repair for Asiye later this week," Professor Ozlenen Ozkan, who helped treat the four-year-old, said.

Asiye Ates pictured with a bandage around her head and cuts to her facing after the dog attack.
The four-year-old is pictured with her injuries in hospital following the dog attack. Source: CEN/Australscope

Prof Ozkan stated the girl's recovery would take about a year and added: "There is not only nerve surgery, but also other operations pending.

"We will try to get a more natural appearance of the scalp."

Following the incident, the Governor's Office stated the two dogs involved in the incident were handed over to the Gaziantep Metropolitan Municipality Animal Rehabilitation Centre by the Nature Conservation and National Parks Branch Directorate.

Six people, including the security guard of the building complex and the owners of the dogs, were taken into custody. They have not been named.

"The judicial and administrative process continues, and our office will follow up the treatment and wellbeing of the injured child," the governor's office said.

It is currently unclear if the dogs have been put down.

– Australscope

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.