Teen accused in Bedford school stabbing won't be sentenced as adult

The case returns to court for a sentencing hearing on July 24. (Luke Ettinger/CBC - image credit)
The case returns to court for a sentencing hearing on July 24. (Luke Ettinger/CBC - image credit)

The teenager who admitted to stabbing two staff members at a Halifax-area high school will not be sentenced as an adult.

Lawyers for the Crown and the teen appeared in Nova Scotia Youth Justice Court Thursday morning to discuss the sentencing, which had been scheduled for July 24.

In March, the teen — whose identity is protected by a publication ban — pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated assault for an incident at Charles P. Allen High School in Bedford, N.S.

A vice principal and an office staff member at the school were stabbed by the teen, who also wounded himself before he was arrested. The attack happened in March of last year.

As required by law, Crown prosecutor Terry Nickerson served notice at the beginning of the court process that if the youth was convicted, the Crown would seek an adult sentence. That would open the door to the possibility of a longer prison term, and the lifting of the publication ban.

But during Thursday morning's discussions, Nickerson told the judge that the Crown was no longer seeking the adult sentence.

Nickerson also said the sentencing will now require more than one day, because he wants to hear from experts who prepared mental health assessments on the 16-year-old.

The sentencing will now begin on July 24, and spill over to a second day in August.

MORE TOP STORIES