U.S. Man, 41, Dead After Experiencing 'Medical Condition' on Fiji Airways Flight to San Francisco

The individual "encountered a medical condition" when the aircraft was about 90 minutes away from arriving in the U.S., the airline said

<p>Getty</p> A Fiji Airways aircraft


A Fiji Airways aircraft

An American man has died after experiencing what the airline has described as a “medical condition” during an international flight bound for the U.S.

The 41-year-old passenger was aboard Fiji Airways flight FJ870 from Nadi International Airport in Fiji on Saturday, June 9 when he “encountered a medical condition" about 90 minutes before arriving at San Francisco International Airport, the airline said in a news release.

Crew members and a doctor who was onboard “provided immediate assistance” before the unidentified man “unfortunately passed away,” Fiji Airways said, adding that "our flight crew promptly declared a medical emergency, and we were given priority for landing by the SFO authorities."

Related: Wreckage of Jet That Went Missing in 1971 with 5 Passengers Reportedly Found in Lake Champlain

“Our thoughts and heartfelt condolences go out to the family and friends of the deceased during this difficult time,” the airline said, while also applauding the cabin crew and assisting doctor “for their swift and professional response to this emergency.”

“Fiji Airways remains committed to the safety and well-being of our passengers and crew, and we are cooperating fully with the authorities as they manage this situation,” the airline continued.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Related: 2 Hospitalized After Seaplane Crashes into Oncoming Boat — See the Jaw-Dropping Video

This incident comes about three months after a 41-year-old American woman died after she “fell ill” while flying to the Dominican Republic on an American Airlines flight.

Stefanie Smith was heading to Charlotte, N.C,. in March when she became unwell, and later died at a hospital in Turks and Caicos.

Smith’s brother, Chris Volz, said authorities later determined his sister died of a carotid artery dissection in her neck, according to ABC News. “It was truly a tragic medical event that happened,” he told the outlet.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.