Ukrainian defenders stop Russian advance in Kharkiv Oblast 'gray zone', battles ongoing

Russians have become more active in the north of Kharkiv Oblast
Russians have become more active in the north of Kharkiv Oblast

The “gray zone” in Kharkiv Oblast is not expanding as Ukrainian defenders are preventing Russians from advancing deeper into the region, spokesperson for the Khortytsia operational and strategic troop grouping, Nazar Voloshyn, said on the national television on the morning of May 11.

"The decision of the command reinforced our defense units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, and it is already being implemented," said Voloshyn.

“The enemy has been localized in the ‘gray zone’ and is not expanding. However, there is a question of completely destroying it and catching it in the forest plantations where it could hide.”

Read also: Russian troops resume Kharkiv Oblast assaults as shelling and airstrikes intensify

Defensive battles continue in the area of Lyptsi and Vovchansk. Fighting also continues in the border area, near the settlements that were actually in the "gray zone".

Russian troops resumed assault operations near the village of Hlyboke in Kharkiv Oblast, media reported earlier this morning.

On the maps of the DeepState monitoring portal for May 11, the area of "gray zones" in the north of Kharkiv Oblast has increased compared to the day before amid the intensification of the Russian army's offensive.

Russian offensive in Kharkiv Oblast

Russian occupation forces tried to break through Ukraine's defense near Vovchansk, Kharkiv Oblast at 5 a.m. on May 10. This was confirmed by the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, which noted that Ukrainian defenders repelled the enemy's attacks.

The Russians also massively shelled the border settlements.

President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy said that Russian troops had launched a new wave of counteroffensives on this front. He also announced that Ukraine would redeploy forces to the Kharkiv sector.

As of the evening of May 10, the General Staff reported that the battles for Strilecha, Pylna, Borysivka, Oliynykove, and Ohirtseve in Kharkiv Oblast were ongoing. The Ukrainian Armed Forces also launched counterattacks near Lyptsi and Vovchansk.

Read also: DeepState updates maps: ‘Gray’ zones expand amid Russian offensive in north Kharkiv Oblast

In late March, the Russian media outlet Meduza reported, citing sources in the Kremlin, on Vladimir Putin's alleged plans to seize Kharkiv.

Kharkiv Mayor Ihor Terekhov spoke of "some concern" about a possible new Russian offensive on the city, but noted that the Russians do not have enough resources for this.

According to intelligence, the Russians do have a plan to capture Kharkiv or Sumy, Ukrainian Army Commander Oleksandr Pavliuk told The Times on May 3.

In early May, the U.S.-based Institute for the Study of War reported that the Russian army had redeployed some troops to Kursk Oblast and was forming a new grouping, presumably in preparation for a large-scale offensive on Kharkiv.

We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!

Read the original article on The New Voice of Ukraine