UN Security Council approves US proposal for 'immediate and total ceasefire' in Gaza

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Tuesday that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had "reaffirmed his commitment" to a Gaza ceasefire proposal during their meeting in Jerusalem. This after the United Nations Security Council adopted the US-drafted proposal late Monday.

"I met with Prime Minister Netanyahu last night and he reaffirmed his commitment to the proposal," US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said, adding that Hamas's welcoming of a UN vote on the US-drafted ceasefire resolution was a "hopeful" sign.

"It is a hopeful sign, just as the statement issued after the president (Joe Biden) made his proposal 10 days ago was hopeful," he said.

"But it's not dispositive. What is dispositive – or at least what so far been dispositive in one way or another – is the word coming from Gaza and from the Hamas leadership in Gaza. And that's what counts. And that's what we don't have.

"We await the answer from Hamas," Blinken said.

Israel too has yet to formally announce it has accepted the ceasefire proposal, which was revealed by Biden on 31 May.

Biden has presented what he labelled an Israeli three-phase plan that would end the conflict, free all hostages and lead to the reconstruction of the devastated Palestinian territory without Hamas in power.

Shortly after Biden unveiled the plan, Netanyahu said the roadmap was only "partial".

Clear political plan needed

Late on Monday, Hamas said it "welcomes" the UN Security Council's vote to adopt a resolution backing the ceasefire plan.

"Today we voted for peace," US ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield said after the UN session.

(with newswires)


Read more on RFI English

Read also:
France and US intensify efforts to prevent Middle East explosion, Macron says
UN says over half of Gaza's buildings damaged as Biden's peace plan faces scrutiny
Biden and Macron to discuss Israel and Ukraine in state visit