Gunmen in southeastern Iran killed nine people Saturday, Iranian media reported, with Islamabad's ambassador identifying them as Pakistanis, as the neighbouring countries have sought to ease tensions after deadly cross-border fire.
Iran's Mehr news agency reported that "according to witnesses, this morning unknown armed men killed nine non-Iranians in a house in the Sirkan neighbourhood of Saravan city" in Sistan-Baluchistan province.
So far, no group had claimed responsibility, the news agency added.
The province's deputy governor, Alireza Marhamati, told official news agency IRNA that according to survivors of the incident, "three armed people shot at the foreigners after entering their residence and fled the scene."
Marhamati confirmed the toll of nine deaths and said three others were wounded.
The Pakistani ambassador to Tehran, Muhammad Mudassir Tipu, said on X, formerly Twitter, he was "deeply shocked by horrifying killing of 9 Pakistanis in Saravan".
"Embassy will extend full support to bereaved families... We called upon Iran to extend full cooperation in the matter."
Pakistani foreign ministry spokeswoman Mumtaz Zahra Baloch condemned the attack as "horrifying and despicable" and asked Iranian authorities to "investigate the incident and hold to account those involved in this heinous crime".
Read more on FRANCE 24 English
Pakistan moves to de-escalate crisis with Iran after deadly airstrikes
Baluchistan, a restive border region at heart of Iran-Pakistan strikes
Pakistan carries out retaliatory strikes on militant targets in Iran