York fire crew called over hot potato scare

Firefighters were called after a woman got locked out of her kitchen while she was cooking a jacket potato.

North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said a crew was sent to Tudor Road in York at about 10:00 BST on Thursday.

The woman had put the potato in the oven at "a high temperature" and left the room, but was unable to get back inside when the door handle broke.

Firefighters gained access to the kitchen after using an extendable ladder to enter via a window.

They were then able to open the broken kitchen door with a screwdriver, the fire service said.


Follow BBC Yorkshire on Facebook, X (formerly Twitter) and Instagram. Send your story ideas to yorkslincs.news@bbc.co.uk.