Brothers, 3 and 6, Dead After They Were Rescued from House Fire and Hospitalized: 'Our Heart Aches'

“We are devastated by these horrific events and heart broken that we lost our amazing sons,” said dad James Brice

<p>GoFundMe (2)</p> From left: William Clarke Brice, Zachariah Henry Brice.

GoFundMe (2)

From left: William Clarke Brice, Zachariah Henry Brice.

A Virginia family is mourning the deaths of two young brothers who were hospitalized after they were injured in a house fire last week.

In a Facebook post, James Brice announced that his two sons, Zachariah, 3, and William, 6, died on April 14.

“We are devastated by these horrific events and heart broken that we lost our amazing sons,” Brice wrote. “Our prayers along with all of yours have been answered, just in a different way. It wasn’t what we picked, and we are learning to surrender and trust God more and more.”

Zachariah and William were rescued after their family’s home in Clifton, Virginia, caught fire on April 10. In a Facebook post shared that day, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department wrote that authorities responded to a two-alarm house fire and that there were reports of two trapped occupants.

Related: Dad and 4 Children Dead After House Fire That Mom and 2 Other Kids Escaped: ‘A Sad Night'

In a later update to the department's Facebook post, officials added that five occupants were transported to a hospital, with two of them carrying “life threatening injuries."

The two boys were being treated in the ICU. Brice said, per NBC affiliate WRC-TV, that William and Zachariah were unresponsive for 45 minutes after firefighters pulled them out of the blaze.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

At the time of the fire, Brice and his wife were at work when he heard about the blaze and rushed home, per WRC. The two boys, along with their brother Logan, 8, were under their grandparents' care when the fire broke out.

Related: ‘Tragedy’ of 5 Children Who Died in House Fire ‘Has Shaken Community,' Says Bullhead City Mayor

According to neighbors, via WRC, Logan called 911, and the grandparents tried to get his brothers but weren’t able to.

A GoFundMe campaign created to help the family said the boys had “severe smoke inhalation injuries.” And in an April 11 update to the fundraising page, Brice said that Zachariah and William had “symptoms consistent with brain death.”

“We have peace in knowing they are both with Jesus and have heard ‘well done good and faithful servant,’” Brice later wrote in his April 15 Facebook post. “We also have peace knowing that we got more days with them on Earth as we learned they should have been lost in the fire that day. Our heart aches because we want them here, but we have a strong hope knowing that we will see them again and will do our best to share their legacy of love, and joy and encouragement for everyone they met.”

Related: Mom Rescues 2 of Her Kids from House Fire, But Dies After Going Back to Save 1-Year-Old Son

Brice added that he is asking people to continue praying for the family and to “give us the space we need this week to make some very difficult decisions…We appreciate all the support, but we just need some time to be mom and dad.”

A prayer vigil was held at a local church for the Brice family on April 11, DC News Now reported.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.