Advertisement

Dozens dead in Philippines landslide

More than 50 people are now confirmed to have died in a major landslide that swamped a village in the southern Philippines.

A further 63 people are still missing following the disaster on Tuesday, which came after weeks of torrential rains in the region.

Authorities initially said seven people had been killed, but on Sunday said 54 bodies had now been recovered.

The landslide, which happened close to a gold mine in Masara, Davao de Oro province, smashed into multiple buildings and vehicles.

Miners who were waiting in two buses to be driven home are among the missing.

At least 32 residents were injured but survived.

Relatives of the missing had been gathering near the scene in the hope of finding their loved ones alive.

Jenny Cano, the wife of a missing van driver, fought back tears as she told reporters: "[Ever since] when it happened, we have not been able to call his mobile phone."

More than 1,100 families living in the surrounding area have been moved to evacuation centres.

Ongoing poor weather and the threat of further landslides have been hampering the search operation.

Local official Edward Macapili said over 300 people were involved in the rescue attempt, which was continuing on Sunday.

Asked if there were still survivors, Mr Macapili admitted it was "unlikely".

But he added: "The rescue team is doing its best, even if it's very difficult."