Drug dealer caught entering Morocco in lorry after man executed outside Essex party, court hears

A drug dealer accused of organising the execution of a man who was shot eight times as he left a party was caught entering Morocco in the back of a lorry, a court has heard.

Nana Oppong, 43, is said to have led a team including drivers and spotters to kill 50-year-old Robert Powell outside Hills House, in Water Lane, Roydon, Essex, in the early hours of 13 April 2020.

London's Woolwich Crown Court heard the victim suffered 15 bullet wounds - some caused by the same bullet passing in and out - and was found by police being put into the back seat of a Ford Mondeo by bystanders.

Mr Powell's cosmetic gold teeth brace was found on the ground nearby after he was taken to hospital, where he died the next day, while two women were also shot and survived, said prosecutor Justin Rouse KC.

He said Oppong "slipped out of the country" after the murder but was finally caught with a Maltese passport hiding in the back of a lorry as he entered Morocco and was extradited back to the UK to face trial.

He told jurors Oppong, who operated at a "higher level" than a street drug dealer, was "the author of the carefully planned organised kill" which was "no spontaneous act of violence".

"He was the instigator, protagonist, and principal organiser of this killing," he said.

Mr Rouse said he had a "grievance" with Mr Powell but the prosecution could not say exactly what it was.

The court heard he arrived at the scene with a loaded firearm in a Ford Kuga with cloned number plates to hide its identity before a gunman got out and Mr Powell was "executed".

"The gunman may have been Nana Oppong or someone else from the Kuga," said Mr Rouse.

"It doesn't matter who pulled the trigger - this was what lawyers call a joint enterprise, they were in it together and are equally responsible."

Oppong, of West Road, Stratford, east London, is on trial alongside Israar Shah, 39, of Kelvedon Hatch, Essex, who also left the country after the murder and was found in Spain before being extradited.

Both deny murder and possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life, while Oppong has also pleaded not guilty to wounding with intent and possession of a prohibited weapon.

The court heard Shah accepts he was at the scene in his Toyota Prius with Adeyinka, but says he was not any part of the murder, while Oppong does not accept he was there or played any part in the offences.

Mr Rouse said others were involved in the shooting, including Temitope Adeyinka, known as Limo, who is still on the run.

The trial continues.