Five classic replays that helped encapsulate 'the magic of the FA Cup'

FA Cup replays will be scrapped next season as concerns grow about the impact an increasingly congested calendar could have on player welfare.

The move might prove popular with many Premier League managers, but clubs in the lower divisions will miss out on payments that can come from playing a replay against those in the top flight.

Many fans fear some of the "magic" that makes the world's oldest national football competition so special will also go missing - as replays have brought giant-killings, epic comebacks and iconic goals that are etched into the memories of supporters up and down the country.

Here were take a look at some classic replays that have gone down in football folklore.

Hereford 2-1 Newcastle (5 February 1972)

More than 50 years ago, non-League side Hereford United defeated Division One opponents Newcastle United in what remains arguably the most famous upset in the history of the competition.

The two sides met for a third-round replay at Hereford's Edgar Street stadium after a 2-2 draw at St James' Park.

A header from Newcastle forward Malcolm Macdonald had put the Magpies ahead in the replay before Hereford's Ronnie Radford equalised with a 35-yard screamer.

Radford famously ran around with both arms raised in the air as he celebrated an incredible goal which had kept his team in the tie.

An extra-time winner by Ricky George then secured Hereford's unlikely place in the fourth round.

Read more:
FA criticised for scrapping potential money-spinning replays

Man Utd 2-1 Arsenal (14 April 1999)

Ryan Giggs staked a strong claim for the tournament's greatest-ever goal with a solo effort which turned out to be the winner in this pulsating semi-final clash at Villa Park.

Bitter rivals Man Utd and Arsenal, the country's two best sides of that era, played out a thrilling tie after drawing their first encounter 0-0.

David Beckham put United ahead in the replay before Dennis Bergkamp equalised for the Gunners.

Bergkamp could have sent Arsenal into the final after the north London side were awarded a penalty seconds before the end of normal time - only for Peter Schmeichel to make a dramatic save.

In extra-time Giggs collected the ball in his own half before weaving through four Arsenal players and firing a shot past Gunners goalkeeper David Seaman.

The Welshman's bare-chested celebration is perhaps even more iconic than the solo effort itself.

Leyton Orient 8-2 Droylsden (7 December 2010)

Four players were sent off and eight others were cautioned in this second-round goal-fest at Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road stadium.

It seemed as if Droylsden, who were a Conference North side, were about to pull off a famous giant-killing when they went 2 - 0 up against the League One team.

However, Orient scored twice after the 77th minute to send the game into extra-time.

The visitors then imploded as Orient scored six goals to emerge 8-2 winners - with Jonathan Tehoue and Scott McGleish both hitting hat-tricks to secure their team's place in the third round.

Everton 4-4 Liverpool (20 February 1991)

In this classic Merseyside derby Liverpool went ahead four times with two goals from Peter Beardsley, and one each from Ian Rush and John Barnes at Goodison Park.

Graeme Sharp and Tony Cottee scored two goals each for the Toffees to send the fifth-round contest into a second replay.

The breathless game is famous for preceding the departure of Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish less than 48 hours later.

Dalglish said at a press conference he was stepping down because he had become tired from the pressure of the job.

Everton edged the second replay 1-0 at Goodison Park the following week.

Read more from Sky News:
Team GB unveils 'very patriotic' Olympic kits
Woman who called 999 hundreds of times jailed
Dog walker's killer still at large two months on

Tottenham 3-4 Man City (4 February 2004)

Spurs were 3-0 up at the break in this fourth-round replay before Man City midfielder Joey Barton was dismissed for dissent as both teams left the field at half-time

The many City fans who headed for the exits would come to regret the decision as 10-player City pulled off an epic comeback.

Goals from Sylvain Distin, Paul Bosvelt and Shaun Wright-Phillips brought City level before John Macken headed home a dramatic winner seconds from time.