Crossbow man shot dead by police in southeast London was convicted stalker under restraining order

A man who was shot dead by police after breaking into a home armed with weapons including a crossbow was a convicted stalker who was banned from entering the road where he was shot.

Court documents show Bryce Hodgson was handed a 16-week suspended jail term in July last year and put under supervision for 12 months after admitting stalking.

The 30-year-old was convicted of a charge of stalking involving serious alarm or distress for entering a woman's bedroom without her consent, texting her to demand she open her door, and describing vivid sexual fantasies to her, between January and April last year.

Hodgson was also put under a five-year restraining order banning him from entering Bywater Place in Surrey Quays, southeast London, where he was shot on Tuesday, and from contacting the woman.

He died after forcing his way into a home in the road just before 5am on Tuesday, wearing body armour and threatening to harm those inside.

Weapons including crossbows, a knife, a sword and a hatchet were found at the scene.

Details of his sentence, and when it was handed down, suggest Hodgson could still have been under supervision by probation officers at the time of the shooting. It is understood government officials are now looking into the case.

Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Matt Twist, who has overall responsibility for firearms, said he "firmly" believes police actions "prevented further loss of life".

He added: "The first unarmed officers knew they were arriving on scene to reports of a man armed with weapons and threatening to harm people inside an address.

"The officers knew there were people inside and had genuine fears for their safety.

"Armed officers were called and attempted to get the man to surrender. They entered the property and shots were fired."

Read more on Sky News:
Coroner fights back tears as inquests opened into deaths of four people in home
Two boys and woman, 46, arrested over fatal stabbing of teenagers in Bristol

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating the shooting, which is standard when there is a police fatality.

IPOC regional director Mel Palmer said: "Given a man has died after being shot by police, our role is to independently investigate all of the circumstances surrounding this incident including the actions and decisions taken by the police.

"We appreciate that the community will want answers quickly and our investigators are working hard to establish the facts and piece together what occurred."