Man jailed after single punch led to death of popular football coach

A man has been jailed for manslaughter after a single punch led to the death of a popular football coach.

George Baylis hit Scott Hendy outside the a pub in Pilning, South Gloucestershire, shortly after midnight on Saturday 2 March.

The 46-year-old victim fell and suffered a critical head injury. He was taken to hospital, but died the following day.

Baylis, of Redwick Road, pleaded guilty to manslaughter last month and was sentenced to four and a half years at Bristol Crown Court today.

The court heard an altercation between the two men had happened in the pub car park before Baylis punched Mr Hendy once.

Police say a number of witnesses at the scene gave an account of what happened.

Baylis was arrested a short distance away around 30 minutes after the incident. Avon and Somerset Police said he then broke down in front of officers and apologised for what happened, adding that he did not intend to hurt anyone.

He later admitted during a police interview to punching Mr Hendy.

His mother, Jennifer Hendy, said: "This is a horrendous situation we find ourselves in and our lives will never be the same.

"We know this would never have happened if Scott wasn't punched.

"However, we understand this has probably ruined the offender's life as well; if anything we feel sorry for him and his family. We don't have any hatred towards him, we accept he probably didn't mean to kill our son.

"However, we are now left feeling our entire life has been torn apart and don't think we will ever come to terms with living our lives without him."

Friends and family say Mr Hendy was a well-liked figure - with around 700 people attending his funeral.

"Not a day that goes by where we don't think about Scott," his mother said in her personal victim statement.

"He was the kindest, loveliest character and all-round amazing son.

"His personality was infectious and was always one for being the joker.

Read more from Sky News:
Campaigners demand tougher sentences for one-punch killers
Man jailed for killing best friend with single punch

"His sense of humour was legendary, and his loss will be felt from all over Bristol, such was the reach of his infectious personality."

Mr Hendy, who was a manager at The Park Knowle football club in Bristol, leaves behind sons Lewis and Harvey and daughter Holly.

Lewis said his father was the "heart and soul of the family" and was "idolised" by his children.

"One of the hardest things to accept is that I can no longer reach out to Dad," he said.

"There will be no more phone calls to ask for his advice, no more texts to share a quick joke, no more chats about work or life.

"I still pick up the phone to call or message him, eager to share something funny that's just happened. Then reality kicks in and I get that sinking feeling again because he's no longer there.

"It feels like I've lost my compass, my guide, and the person I could always turn to when I needed help.

"There are events that have not yet happened that I know will be incredibly bittersweet, such as the birth of my first child and my wedding, this also applies to Harvey and Holly.

"Dad will never get the opportunity to become a grandparent, to walk Holly down the aisle and to show us all up with his dance moves at our weddings."