One dead after being hit by bus in central London

A person has died after being hit by a bus outside Victoria station in central London.

Emergency services were called just before 9am as pictures posted on social media showed significant damage to a bus stop outside one of the capital’s busiest stations.

Met Police confirmed a pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene at 9.26am, despite the best efforts of paramedics. The driver of the bus was taken to hospital by ambulance, their condition is not known.

Images showed a number of glass windows at the bus stop shattered after it was reportedly hit by the number 13 bus.

The bus station remains closed on Monday morning, but no other road closures are in place in the area. The train station remains open, police said.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: “I’ve been told about the tragic news that a pedestrian has lost their life as a consequence of an accident.

“My thoughts are with the bereaved family, it’s really important that we allow them to be informed first about this tragedy.

“There is a full investigation under way.

“I’m sure I speak for all of us when I say our thoughts and prayers are with this person’s family.”

Police are working to trace the pedestrian’s next of kin.

A Met Police spokesperson said: “Specialist police traffic investigators are on scene and an investigation into the circumstances of the collision has commenced.”

Glynn Barton, TfL’s chief operating officer, said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the person who was tragically killed following a collision with a bus in Victoria this morning.

“This will have been a deeply distressing incident for everyone involved and we have support available for those affected. TfL and the operator RATP are assisting the police with their investigation.”

A London Ambulance spokesperson said: “We sent some resources, including two ambulance crews and a medic in a fast-response car. We also dispatched London’s Air Ambulance.

“We treated three people at the scene.

“A person was taken to hospital and another patient was assessed and discharged.

“Unfortunately, despite our teams’ best efforts, a person was pronounced dead at the scene.”