The comedian had been scheduled to perform three stand-up shows in the U.K. over the next two weeks
Russell Brand's upcoming stand-up tour dates have been postponed following allegations that he raped, sexually assaulted and abused multiple women.
The comedian, 48, had been scheduled to perform three stand-up shows in the U.K. over the next two weeks as part of his Bipolarisation tour.
“We are postponing these few remaining addiction charity fundraiser shows, we don’t like doing it — but we know you’ll understand,” the tour's promoters said Monday in a statement shared by the Theatre Royal Windsor, where Brand was set to appear on Tuesday, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Though three upcoming dates have since been postponed, the Rock of Ages star did go ahead with his scheduled performance at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre in London on Saturday night. Brand was photographed leaving the venue after the gig and getting into a car, with his eyes hidden behind a pair of sunglasses.
During his show, where he received a standing ovation, he thanked the audience of about 2,000 people for coming and said there were certain topics he could not discuss that night, BBC News reported.
"I really appreciate your support, I love you, and I want to do a fantastic show for you," he told the crowd, per the outlet. "I've got a lot of things to talk to you about. There are obviously some things that I absolutely cannot talk about, and I appreciate that you will understand."
Earlier on Saturday, Brand was revealed as the subject of a joint investigation by The Sunday Times, The Times and U.K. current affairs show Channel 4 Dispatches in which five women — four who remained anonymous — including a 16-year-old accused him of rape, sexual assault and physical and emotional abuse.
The incidents allegedly took place between 2006 and 2013 when Brand was working as a film actor and a presenter for BBC Radio 2 and Channel 4.
Scotland Yard has also been urged to look into the women's claims against Brand by U.K. government minister Caroline Nokes, who said Monday that the “incredibly shocking and criminal" allegations are "first and foremost a matter for the police," The Times reported. Nokes also pointed out that "celebrity can act as a shield" in cases like this.
On Monday, Scotland Yard told PEOPLE that London's Metropolitan Police is "aware of media reporting of a series of allegations of sexual assault."
"At this time, we have not received any reports in relation to this," Scotland Yard's statement added. "We spoke with The Sunday Times on Saturday, 16 September. We will be making further approaches to the Sunday Times and Channel 4 to ensure that any victims of crime who they have spoken with are aware of how they may report any criminal allegations to police."
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
Brand said in his video Friday that he “absolutely refutes” the claims made against him.
“I’ve received two extremely disturbing letters, or a letter and an email, one from a mainstream media TV company, one from a newspaper, listing a litany of extremely egregious and aggressive attacks,” he began. “But amidst this litany of astonishing, rather baroque attacks, are some very serious allegations that I absolutely refute.”
He also addressed the timeframe of the women's allegations, saying that all of the relationships were "consensual."
“These allegations pertain to the time when I was working in the mainstream, when I was in the newspapers all the time, when I was in the movies. And as I’ve written about extensively in my books, I was very, very promiscuous. Now during that time of promiscuity, the relationships I had were absolutely, always consensual.”
“I was always transparent about that then — almost too transparent. And I’m being transparent about it now as well. And to see that transparency metastasized into something criminal, that I absolutely deny,” he added.
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, please contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) or go to rainn.org.
For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read the original article on People.